Dinner for Two: Delicious Orange Chicken in 6 Simple Steps
Dinner for two can be a challenge. How about a quick and easy recipe for orange chicken? You’ll find several similar recipes. This one comes from the test kitchen of Gay N. Lewis. Served with rice, this dish becomes a tasty meal and it’s appropriate for any night of the week. Orange Chicken can be made in a slow cooker, also. Add all ingredients at the same time, but remember to set the timer accordingly. This dish doesn’t take long to cook. If you enjoy a sweet but tart pleasure with a hint of heat, this one will become a favorite.
Photo: Gay N. Lewis
- 1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 large Granny Smith apple
- ½ bottle of sugar-free orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free apricot preserves
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup mustard
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- Wash chicken and lightly salt and pepper. Cut into bite sized pieces.
- Sauté chicken in skillet and set aside.
- Slice and cut apple into bite-sized pieces
- Sauté the apples in 1 TBS of butter and set aside.
- Combine marmalade, preserves, ketchup, mustard, and Tobasco into a sauce.
- Place chicken, apple, and sauce in skillet. Simmer on medium heat until chicken and apple are fully cooked.
Serve over rice.