Referred to as a “no stop light” town, Barksdale is an unincorporated community located near the Nueces River in Edwards County. Farm to Market Road 335 and State Highway 55 intersect in Barksdale, Texas. Barksdale can be found 26 miles West of Leakey and 24 miles Southeast of Rocksprings.
5 Things You Might Not Know About Barksdale, Texas
1. Barksdale Survived the Population Roller Coaster.
Photo: Glenda Thompson
Originally settled in the late 1840s, the town didn’t have enough citizens for a post office. They borrowed the name Dixie from a nearby Texas Ranger post in the 1860s. In 1880, when they finally had enough people in the area to request a post office, the residents of the area discovered the name Dixie was already taken. They chose to name the town Barksdale after Lewis Barksdale, the man who owned the majority of the land in the area.
In 1884, Barksdale boasted 20 citizens, one grocery store, and two general stores. The school lived in a private home. By 1887, the town built a new building to house the school. The building doubled as a church on Sundays.
Around 1900, the population of Barksdale reached 100 residents shortly after the bank opened and telephone service arrived. By 1940, the population had doubled to 200 residents and in the 1950s, Barksdale built a church and a new high school. After all, the baby boom was in full swing and those children would need some place to go to school.
The 1970s were hard on Barksdale. The population count shrunk to 71 residents and two businesses fought hard to keep their heads above water. They succeeded. As of the 2000 census, Barksdale is booming again with nearly 1,100 residents.
Today, the population has dropped back into the 600s.
2. Primary Businesses in Barksdale Include Hunting and Fishing.