Lifestyle

Odd Facts You Probably Don’t Know About Doss, Texas

By  | 

We hate spam too, we'll never share your email address

 

 

When flooding destroyed the dam at Lange’s Mill, William Lange employed stonemason Philip Buchmeyer to rebuild it from 1872 to 1875. Buchmeyer was married to Augusta Johanna Adams Lehmann, the widow of Ernst Moritz Lehmann and mother of Herman and William F. Lehmann. In 1870, Herman, then ten, and Willie, eight were captured by a raiding party of Apaches. Four days later, cavalrymen returned Willie to his family, but were unable to rescue Herman who remained with the Apache and later the Comanche until 1878. Herman lived with Quanah Parker’s family as his adopted son from 1877-1878 until U.S. soldiers brought him home.

4. Doss was the site of a reenactment of the Battle of Iwo Jima.

Hilltop flagraising

Photo: www.warbirdinformationexchange.org

On February 19, 2005, a large scale reenactment of the Battle for Mount Suribachi and the Two Flag Raisings took place on the Welge Ranch in Doss, Texas. Several hundred military volunteers participated in the event commemorating the 60th anniversary of the battle and honoring the heroes of the day. The Admiral Nimitz Foundation and the National Museum of the Pacific War sponsored the experience, which also included a morning parade down Main Street in nearby Fredericksburg. The procession featured Iwo Jima veterans, other military veterans, active duty military, and dozens of WWII vehicles.

5. Doss was not always Doss.

Doss Post Office

Photo: www.rshannagallery.com

Although the community originated when the Doss brothers began operating their mill in 1849, the small town did not acquire a United States post office until 1898 when William F. Lange opened one in his general store. Before that, community members had used a room added on to the house of August Steiness as their mail delivery station. When William Lange opened his post office the name was naturally Lange, but in 1907, the post office moved to what is now the Doss town site and renamed Doss.