Local News

Welcome to Comfort, Texas

By  | 

We hate spam too, we'll never share your email address

 

 

Fridays and Saturdays you can stop by the Comfort Public Library’s Backdoor Bookstore. Located on the corner of 7th and High Streets, they sell gently used books and other items.

The Old Tunnel Park is located 13 miles north of town. Huge clouds of bats depart at sunset.

Welcome to Comfort Texas

Photo: Wikipedia

Comfort is also home to one of only two bat roosts in the U.S. Albert Steves erected a Hygieostatic Bat Roost in 1918 on his farm. The roost attracted bats in order to cut down on the mosquito populations—insects which sometimes carried malaria. Steves coined the name of the roost based on a pair of Greek words: Hygiea, meaning health, and stasis, meaning standing. The roost is a shingled tower in a pyramid-shape and stands 30 feet tall. The bats enter through a dormer. The tower’s concrete base is raised seven feet so wagons can be driven underneath the structure and loaded with guano. The bat roost is located a mile and a half east of Comfort on the south side of RM 473. In the 1980s, it was designated a Texas State Landmark and included on the National Register of Historic Places.

Welcome to Comfort Texas
Photo: Wikipedia

The Treue der Union Monument is dedicated to 35 German supports of the U.S. Federal Government who were attacked by a company of Confederates at the Battle of the Nueces in August 1862. The Unionists were en route to Mexico. They planned to cross the border, then make their way to Union-held New Orleans and join Union forces against the confederacy. Many of the slain were members of the Union League, a militia which was active in Republican politics in the years before and after the Civil War. Controversy over the Battle of the Nueces continues to this day in the Hill Country. The monument was erected in 1866 over the place where the dead were buried. An 1866 thirty-six star flag flies at half-staff at the monument.