Local News

Fort Worth Man Suffers Third-Degree Burns From E-Cigarette Explosion

By  | 

We hate spam too, we'll never share your email address

 

Following what’s believed to be the explosion of a lithium battery in an e-cigarette, a Fort Worth man says he’s quitting smoking for good. The explosion happened in his pocket, leaving him with severe burn injuries and a stay at the burn center at Parkland Hospital. Please be advised that his subsequent wound pictures are graphic.

Scott Mann identified that he was at work on Tuesday, September 11, when what he believes to be the battery in his e-cigarette exploded, resulting in third-degree burns on his hands, leg, and thigh. “I can honestly say this is the worst pain I’ve ever had in my entire adult life,” he said. Despite the circumstances, however, Mann did consider the alternative. “If it would have been in my mouth, it probably would have blown out my teeth and possibly my eyes,” he noted.

Fort Worth Man Suffers Third-Degree Burns From E-Cigarette Explosion

Photo: Facebook/Scott Mann

Unfortunately, this incident in Texas isn’t an anomaly. It’s become just one more in a growing number of reports regarding exploding e-cigarettes. WFAA reported that a recent study identified 195 such incidents throughout the U.S. pertaining to fires or explosions between 2009 and 2016. The very same study further identified the combination of the lithium battery together with an e-cigarette as being a “unique hazard.”

Fort Worth Man Suffers Third-Degree Burns From E-Cigarette Explosion

Photo: Facebook/Scott Mann

Mann is a 44-year-old self-employed contractor. Not only does he require his hands for his job, but he has a passion for playing the guitar. With the required healing time necessary for a recovery, it will be a few months before he has the ability to play again. The burns on his hand resulted when Mann attempted to put the fire out – a natural reaction. The FDA has issued warnings regarding e-cigarettes with respect to their batteries. They have noted that the batteries should be replaced if they get wet or damaged. They also advise that they shouldn’t be overcharged. In the meantime, a GoFundMe page has been established for Mann’s medical bills, and those wishing to help can do so at the link available here.

Page 1 of 2:12