History

Restored! The Pipe Creek General Store and Dance Hall

By  | 

We hate spam too, we'll never share your email address

 

 

New places to dance do not come often anymore. The former hubs of small communities throughout Texas are often closed down and forgotten. However, the Pipe Creek General Store and Dance Hall, located at 9878 Hwy 16 S, Pipe Creek Texas 78063, is an exception. This new old place is seeing life again!

Restored! The Pipe Creek General Store and Dance Hall

Facebook/Miguel Brisita

Once Lipan Apache Country, this land was patented by William J. Hamilton on August 29, 1878, and he built a cotton gin and grist mill. E.B. and Carrie Keefe bought the one-acre store corner on March 3, 1911 for $150.00 and built the first store residence, selling to Felix and Harriet Newcomer. In the spring of 1924, Adolph and Loura (granddaughter of the Newcomers) Schott took over the store’s operation. In 1930, Adolph built the dance hall for the 100 families living in the area. Dancing, movies, and skating took place in the hall. In 1936, when the road to San Antonio was widened for the paving of Hwy. 16, the current store was built. The store was the first Pipe Creek building to receive electricity; it was connected December 24, 1940. In 1944, Adolph and Loura leased the store to The Cloptons, who built the café on the corner.

In September 1951, Ed and Ann Jennings took charge of the store, aiming for a convenience market and tourist attraction by posting novel items and signs around the store. Ed Jennings retired and closed the store in 1982, then sold it to Don and Ginger Lee in 1986. They opened the Pipe Creek Junction Café soon afterward, running it for over 25 years. Special thanks to local historian, the late Jay Edwards, and Bruce G. Martin for this info.

Restored! The Pipe Creek General Store and Dance Hall

Facebook/Miguel Brisita

The property’s newest history came with its purchase in November 2014 by local resident Bruce G. Martin in order to preserve local history and continue its functionality as an active community gathering place. Bruce has worked to restore the buildings to their original 1930s appearance by keeping original woodwork, while stabilizing the foundations, upgrading the water systems, and installing air conditioning in the general store. Electrical and lighting were updated as well. Additionally, the restrooms are remodeled to meet ADA requirements. Future plans include a restaurant and farmers market.

The family-oriented dancehall is roughly 2,000 square feet. Restoration was recently completed, and the facility is currently utilizing the General Store. Dances featuring country western music will be planned on a periodic basis; beer and wine are planned to be sold onsite. Need more info? Call (210) 912-7663 or email at [email protected]. Best of luck to this renewed site in the Texas Hill Country!