Local News

Texas Man Suffers Seizures After Rattlesnake Bite

By  | 

We hate spam too, we'll never share your email address

 

 

This week in Lamesa, Texas, 53-year-old Milton Richards received a snake bite by what the family believes was a Mojave rattlesnake while walking through his yard. KCBD writes that Richards was transferred from a Lamesa hospital to University Medical Center when he began suffering from seizures after the venomous bite happened. “It took over 40 vials of anti-venom to treat him,” the news reports. Thankfully, he was able to go back home three days later.

DesertUSA explains, “Most rattlesnakes have venom composed primarily of hemotoxic properties. Baby rattlesnakes and the Mojave rattler are the exception[s]; they have venom which contains more neurotoxic properties than hemotoxic which makes them very dangerous.”

Stories like Richards’s reminds Texans that a rattlesnake bite is no joke. Earlier this year, a Florida man was bitten by a rattlesnake on his tongue while he was attempting to kiss it. According to CBS News, he had to be flown via helicopter to the hospital where he stayed in critical condition for a day before he started improving.

Snakes tend to demand respect, so take precautions while you’re outside. Try your best to be aware of your surroundings. And definitely, don’t try to smooch a snake. For more information on what to do if you’re bitten by a rattlesnake, visit DesertUSA.